Friday 30 March 2012

Make an Easter Bilby Basket!

This is a really cute Easter craft that I have been making for so many years that I can't remember where I first saw the idea.
I love it because it is uniquely Australian and environmentally friendly!
It would be great to make as a craft if you were studying Easter around the World or Australia or Endangered Animals.









From a milk carton...









to a bilby basket!










The Bilby is an Australian marsupial. It is also known as the rabbit-eared bandicoot for obvious reasons. If you would like to read more about the bilby, my class wrote a post about it on our class blog.
Making the bilby basket is very simple. It requires only one milk carton per child and a pair of scissors and a stapler. My children filled their baskets with recycled shredded paper.
I usually have the lines drawn on for the students. Older children can do it themselves but for my Year 2s, it is easier if I do it myself.
We worked with our buddies in Year 5 to do this activity. They all had a lot of fun.
I have made a video that shows how to make this craft.

For other great freebies and ideas for April, check out The Cornerstone for Teachers too!

Have fun and Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. great ideas! I love bilbies :)

    I made a post about bilbies here...

    http://kindergarten-blossoms.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/bilby-photos.html

    ReplyDelete