Sunday, 19 February 2012

Writing Animal Reports

My class have really enjoyed the work we have done over the past few weeks about animals. We (my teaching team and I) have decided to give them a go at writing their own animal reports.
I think they will need a lot of scaffolding. I have a few students who can write confidently but just as many who are still struggling to read basic sight words and can not write sentences that I can read without them there to translate. Some of them have a long way to go this year if they are to meet the standards in the Australian Curriculum for Year 2, so the more help I can give them to get there, the better.
In order to give the students the support they will need I have created a suite of resources this weekend.
The collection is based on the use of icons for each section of the report. I used a similar system a few years ago when I taught Year 1 and it worked well so I have developed the idea a bit further.


I have created a Powerpoint presentation to introduce the icons, a collection of animal note cards with keywords and phrases about ten different animals, and three different scaffolds for student writing that I can use in different ways with different students.
You can check out the collection at my TPT store.
I have made the three scaffolds freebies so that people can pick and choose what they think will work best for their own class.
If you download them and use them I would love some feedback.

6 comments:

  1. These look great! If we end up doing information reports I'll definitely purchase them! At the moment we are doing poetry and soon we are starting biographies. I hope we do information reports, as I've found in the past my reluctant writers (particularly boys) have enjoyed information writing immensely. These would be a great help and model. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kylie

    What type of poetry are you doing?
    We wrote some pattern poems last week as part of our grammar focus on verbs and this week we will write some verses for "The Bug Chant" by Tony Mitton.
    I published some of the student writing on our class blog earlier this week. Maybe your class would like to read our poems and leave a comment on our blog. It is "A Year in Year 2".
    Some of my students are really struggling with phonemic awareness so poetry is a fun way to review this so that we can practise daily but not bore those who have already developed this.
    I'd love to hear about what you are doing with poetry - maybe we can write poems back and forth. It would be a good motivator for them to read and write.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing, these are great!! Glad I found your blog, I'm your newest follower!
    Amy
    TheResource(ful)Room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post , I am going to spend more time researching this topic For more info: human resource assignment help

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really would like to say thanks to all of you guys. Sharing Knowledgeable information here. For more info:
    Assignment Help
    Business Assignment Help
    Online Assignment Help

    ReplyDelete
  6. AVI Homeopathy - Basically, it is a chromosomal order characterized by the existence of an extra copy of genetic material on the 21st chromosome; it may be of any type as in format or also due to internal translocations. As such, the impact of the additional changes varied from people to people, depending on the genetic history & earlier symptoms.vist down syndrome treatment in homeopathy. Rarely found syndrome, is due to increased mutagenic exposures upon some older parents' reproductive cells. Apart from this, many other factors may also play a role. Till now, as Medical science believes it occurred in all human populations, and parallel effects have been found in other creatures also. Get more info Visit AVI Homeopathy

    ReplyDelete