Wednesday 28 December 2011

Where do I Start?

I have decided to write a blog this year even though I'm not really sure how to go about it. I have been looking at many other teacher blogs and seeing the great ideas people are sharing so I thought I should share too. Hopefully someone else can benefit from the work I do...


This year we are implementing the new Australian Curriculum. I hope that as I create and share resources that I will use in my classroom, other people will share too and we can support each other through this new experience.

I am excited by the new curriculum and am glad that we will finally have a bit more consistency across the states within Australia.

I am teaching Year 2 this year after a few years in the Year 4/5 area. It has been a while since I have taught little ones so I know there will be a learning curve for me in this regard as well.

One goal this year is to make better use of the IWB in my classroom. When I first got one three years ago I was using it interactively a lot, but I found that with the older students, a lot of the activities that were taking me hours to create would only last a few minutes in the classroom and they were not intellectually challenging. Last year I used it mostly as a projector. I think that having a projector in the classroom is essential and really enhances the students' opportunities to understand concepts more deeply because they can "see" what is being talked about, but it doesn't justify the expense of having the interactive capabilities.

Another goal is to make good use of our new iPads. Our school has purchased ten iPads for use across the school. I won't be able to have them all the time of course, but I can already think of great uses for them and hopefully will discover many more along the way. I think that all these new challenges will keep me pretty busy this year so I hope I can manage to find time amongst it all to share my journey via this blog.

I have a few short weeks before we start to try to get my classroom organised and to learn a whole lot more myself.

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new blog! I am new to this too, but super excited! Perhaps we can help each other grow!!! Check out my blog!

    http://kindergartenlifestyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeannie

    I checked out your blog too. Your Promethean freebie is giving me ideas. I have a Team Board so I use Easiteach. It doesn't seem to be as common.

    I am very happy to learn more about blogging and teaching together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogging world! I am new as well, and I look forward to sharing this journey with you.

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome aboard! This looks great...just keep blogging away!

    Hilary
    Rockin' Teacher Materials

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!

    I just discovered your blog and am really excited to read more! You have some great ideas! Happy blogging! :-)

    Chelsea

    http://divinginandmakingasplash.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning, that's a great blog. This writer is a great blogger, and I'm inspired by this article. It's recommended to use the
    Mouse Click Speed Test
    which measures your clicks per second. Take the CPS Test online to see how fast you are. Also, we provide a detailed click-tracking map so you can see how fast you are.

    ReplyDelete